Swains and Hollingsworths

Reviewing some past posts that I never published brought me back to this source. With new eyes I'm reading this website about Samuel Hollingsworth and realizing that there is a lot here that is of interest. 

This site is dedicated to the history of Samuel Hollingsworth.
http://www.sadiesparks.com/samuelhollingsworth.htm

According to this website, Samuel Hollingsworth was a quaker (Clue #1) and lived in Randolph, NC, Guilford, NC, and later appears in Franklin, GA (Clue #2 & 3). He and William Swain would be in Franklin, GA at the same time. Both Samuel Hollingsworth and his brother Jacob were Quakers in NC but became Baptists (Clue #4) after moving to GA. These Hollingsworths were also of Irish Descent (Clue #5). 

Obviously, this site tells us a lot about the Hollingsworths and not much about the Swains, but there is a trail to follow to see whether there are Swains along the way that traveled with them from Ireland to the new country. I've found Swains in the counties of Chester, Randolph, Guilford and Franklin and to also see the migration pattern is exciting.

Here's the summary of a will of Mary Newlin that is listed on the Hollingsworth site and references Swains:

NEWLIN, MARY.
May 9, 1730. July 23, 1730. A. 319.
To grandson in law Nathan son of Nathaniel Newlin £5. To Sarah daughter  of John Newlin £5. To Mary daughter of Ellis Lewis £5. To Mary Everson £5. To granddaughter in law Mary Baily £5. To kinswoman Hannah Shewin £3 and the remainder of her time to my father. To sisters Rebecca Bennet and Sarah Swain all wearing apparel. Remainder to father and brothers Jonathan and John Fincher and sisters Rebecca Bennet and Sarah Swain and to my sister Elizabeth Cox's 3 children.
Executors: father John Fincher and brother Francis Fincher.
Witnesses: William Swain, Martha Mullin.

And here it is in all of it's glory and transcribed word for word (the neatest penmanship of any will I've ever seen): 
https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/1642186:8802

Will of Mary Newlin 9 May 1730
The last will and testament of Mary Newlin made the ninth day of the fifth month in the year of our Lord 1730 Being weak of Body but of sound mind and memory. Thanks be Given to God therefore Calling to mind the mortality of my Body & that it is appointed for all men and women once to Dye do give and Bequeath unto my Grandson in law Nathan the son of Nathaniel Newlin the sum of Five pounds. Item: I give & Bequeath to Sarah the Daughter of John Newlin the sum of Five pounds. Item I give and Bequeath to Mary the Daughter of Ellis Lewis the sum of Five pounds. Item I give and Bequeath to Mary Everson the sum of Five pounds. Item I give and Bequeath to my Grandaughter in Law Mary Baily the sum of Five pounds. I give and Bequeath to my kinswoman Hannah Shewin the sum of three pounds besides what is Due by Indenture, and I give the Remaining part of her time by Indenture to my Father. Item I give and Bequeath all my wearing apparell to my Two sisters Rebecca Bennet and Sarah Swain to be Equally Divided Between them. Item I give and Bequeath all the remaining part of my Estate goods and Chattels real and personall (after my Just Debts is paid) to my Dear Father and Living Brothers Jonathan Francis and John Fincher and my Loving Sister Rebecca Bennet and Sarah Swain, and to my sister Elizabeth Cox three children the one seventh part thereof to be Equally Divided amongst them and I do hereby constitute and appoint my Dear Father & Brother Francis Fincher to be my executors of this my Last will and Testament, and I appoint Ellis Lewis and William Swain as Trustees to see that my will be duly performed. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal the day and year above written.
                                                                           Mary Newlin

Signed sealed published pronounced and declared by the said Mary Newlin as her last will and Testament in the presence of us ye subscribers, viz: 
           William Swain.                            Martha Mullin

Chester, July the 23 1730 Then personally appeared William Swain and Martha Mullin the witnesses to the Before written will who on their solemn affirmation did declare they were present & saw the testatrix therein named sign seal publish pronounce & declare the said writing to be her Last will and Testament at the Doing thereof she was of sound mind and memory to the Best of their understanding. 
                  Coram. Jo. Parker. D. Reg.

Be it Remembered that the Twenty Third day of July Anno Dom 1730 the Last will and Testament of Mary Newlin of London Grove in the said County Decedt. was proved in due form of Law and probate and Letters of Administration was granted to her Father John Fincher and her Brother Francis Fincher sole executors in the said will named being first attested will and truly to administer and to bring in an inventory of the said Decedts Estate into the Reg office for the said County of Chester on or before ye Twenty Third day of August next to Exhibit and to Render a just account of their administration when Legally thereunto Required. Given under the seal of the said office. 
               P. Jo. Parker. D. Regn. 



Comments

Popular Posts